“Alexa, turn on all the lights”
Good news! Mixtile Relay Switch (MRS) can now be directly connected to Amazon Echo devices that has built-in Zigbee connectivity (check Compatibility for more details). If you have a compatible Echo device, you can connect MRS to it without needing a separate smart hub.
What can you do
With this integration, you can control MRS device through the Alexa app or using your voice such as:
“Alexa, turn on the bedroom light”
“Alexa, turn off the bathroom lights”
Alternative, you can set a routine to automate your lights. To do this, go to the Alexa app -> select Routines from the menu -> press + icon. The routine can trigger your lights in 4 different ways
- Voice – E.g. When you say “Alexa, good night”, turn off all your lights.
- Schedule – E.g. Every day at 11PM, turn off all the lights.
- Device – E.g. When motion is detected, turn on the lights (*note you need a motion sensor for this)
- Arrive/Leave – E.g. When you leave the house, turn off the lights.
How to connect
MRS connects to Echo devices by Zigbee connectivity. Please follow the steps below to pair Zigbee with an Echo device
- Turn on the pairing mode of your Echo device (2 methods)
- By asking “Alexa, discover device”
- (Alternative) Using the Alexa app. Go to ‘+’ icon -> Add devices -> Switch -> Other.
- Turn on inclusion mode for MRS (2 methods)
- Long press the button on the relay for 3 seconds. Then short press it once more
- (Alternative) if you have the switch and relay installed. Quickly press the light switch on-off 5 times. (5 times off, 5 times on)
- Once it is added. Name the device in the Alexa app such as ‘Bedroom light’
Since MRS is a Zigbee device, it can only work with Echo devices that have Zigbee connectivity. Below is a list of Zigbee-enabled Echo devices and its compatibility status with MRS.
Only Amazon Echo Plus (2nd Gen) was tested.
Below are other Echo devices with Zigbee built-in. These devices have not been tested.
Echo (4th gen), Echo Plus (1st Gen), Echo Show (2nd Gen), Echo Show 10 (3rd gen), Echo Studio.
At the time of this writing, we have only tested it working with the Amazon Echo Plus (2nd gen). Other untested devices may also work.
Learn more about smart voice assistant, such as Google Assistant, Alexa, Siri, etc, please click here.